Saturday, April 11, 2009

Labor of Love


Sophie Lee Segura born April 6th 2009!
This beautiful girl has finally arrived.


A labor of love!
My water broke at 3 am on April 5th. I was not sure quite what was happening, but water was gushing everywhere. I was not having strong contractions, but thought this was a clear sign. We arrived at the hospital at about 4:30 am, I was not yet dialated even a little. But, the nurse said that having your water break is a golden ticket to get a room at the hospital.
We got checked in and my parents arrived, luckily they were in town. They started me on some oral medicine that began my contractions, and they started coming fast. I was sure the baby was only a few hours away. Even with strong contractions I was not dialating, so they put me on Pitosin. My contractions continued without results for the next 24 hours. By 4:00 am on April 6th I had reached my exhaustion level, physically and emotionally. I could not dialate past a 3, so they fianlly decided on a C-section.
My whole body was shaking with nerves. My parents made it to the hospital in the nick of time before I entered the OR. I really needed to see my moms face at that moment. I went into the room with Brandon holding my hands and the baby arrived about 20 minutes later at 5:50 am.
I was heavily drugged, but I could hear her cry and hear the doctors comment in shock and amazement at how big this girl was. She was 8 pounds and 10 1/2 ounces.
I have never loved anything more in my life. She is perfect.
Both mom and baby are slowly but surely healing.








20 comments:

Lori Harris said...

Congrats! I have been wondering about you and your baby! I had to have a c-section too. At least next time you have a baby it will be a scheduled one for a c-section. Love the name and she is so beautiful. Congrats again!!! Post more pics soon.

Candice said...

She is beautiful... my water broke too and I was dialated at a 0 and had to get patocin. We will have to share our labor experiences sometime. She is a beauty and so precious. Tell Brandon Congrats on being a dad of a little girl- it's the best!!

Beth said...

Oh Ashley! She's perfect and so beautiful! Congratulations! I have had 2 c-sections now, so I feel your pain. Again, congratulations there's nothing better than being a mommy!

Denise and Brandon said...

What a great birthday...April 6th! I know what it's like to endure torturous contractions without dilating. It is soooo frustrating. Glad everything turned out okay. Congratulations! Having a baby is the best thing in the world. I am enjoying my little guy so much.

Taryn said...

Congrats. She is a pretty girl! Girls are sooo much fun...I should know :) What a bugger of a labor, but I am glad it turned out ok. Can't wait to see all the cute pics ahead!

The Wright Family said...

Ashley and Brandon, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Little Sophie is BEAUTIFUL and not so little! She's a whopper from such a tiny mommy. Glad that you're both doing okay after what sounds like an exhausting time!

Jessica said...

Congratulations Ashley! I can not believe a tiny thing like you had an 8 pound baby! She is beautiful and I love the name Sophie!
Good Luck with everything and enjoy this time -- when you heal of course!

Tiff and Dave said...

Oh Ash, I am so excited for you! She is such a doll and I love the little chubby cheeks. I'm sorry labor didn't go well for you especially b/c I know you were so nervous about it. I'm glad she is here and healthy. Take it easy and enjoy your new little one. They grow out of the newborn stage way to fast, so enjoy it!

The Free Family said...

She is beautiful!!! Enjoy every little moment. It goes too quickly. I'm going to come check in on you this week!

leslie said...

Yeah!!! I was wondering when this post would come. Congratulations! She is beautiful! I love the name Sophie. And love the bow! That is one of my favorite parts of having a girl. Take care!

Carie Beard said...

Congrats! I am so excited for you and feel so bad that you had such a rough time. She is adorable I can't wait to see more pics. Take care and give her LOTS of kisses they grow way to fast ;)

Jewels said...

She's adorable! Such chubby cheeks! I love it! Congrats, sorry labor took so long then you had to get a c-section! I hope you recover quickly and enjoy your little girl.

Krystal said...

OHHH she is such a cutie... Wow what a rough labor!! I hope you are feeling better... She is great! Congrats :)

The Girls' Mom said...

YIPEE! We can't wait to meet the little girl. I'm glad you are doing well. Congratulations to you and Brandon and Presley.

Nicole said...

Congrats! Labor never goes as planned does it!? My first was a C-section too, but my second wasn't...so don't get too bumbed out
She is absolutely beautiful!

ashlee said...

Congratulations! She is so cute! I love the chubby cheeks. I'm so sorry that your labor took so long.

Diana said...

Congratulations! Beautiful baby girl. Glad you are all doing well. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Paul and Aubrey Young said...

Hey Ashley,
I don't know if you will remember me, my name is Aubrey(Richins)Young. I grew up in Driggs.
Congrats on your baby!
Hey I saw on here that you teach dance, I wanted to know if YOU or if you know anyone that would be able to choreograph a High school Cheer competition routine? I would love to hear back from you. ( I know you just had a baby, but we would not need to start for a few months.)
Aubrey Young 208-351-1345 ( The school is in Orem

segura2salazar said...

I am so in love with little miss Sophie!!! You did such a great job! I am so proud of you! Give Sophie a kiss for me.

Nicole said...

Sorry one more thing- we changed our blog address to
www.kevinnicoleandkids.blogspot.com